Lawyers and coffee. A match made in Grind.
When I started TBD Marketing, I used coffee for our visuals for a few reasons:
- I like coffee
- Most lawyers like coffee
- I like lawyers who like coffee
- Coffee was a new take on the traditional imagery for law firms of maps, handshakes, high fives and jigsaw pieces
- Coffee speaks to relationships, conviviality and being someone you’d like to spend some time with
- Lawyers come in lots of varieties, so does coffee
Lawyers and coffee
Lawyers and coffee go together like a contract and a signature:
- They both come from across the world…
- …yet you’re never more than a stone’s throw from one.
- Both can be strong, bold, and assertive – packing a punch that leaves an impression.
- Using them can prove slightly addictive (you should probably stick to one or two a day).
- Both can have unique profiles…
- … and different roast levels.
- People often opt for one that’s reassuringly expensive.
- Both can burn you. (You should always check their temperature first).
And the whole reason for me writing this blog post:
Why did the coffee shop worker pursue a career as a solicitor?
Because he didn’t want to be a barista…
(We’ll play ourselves out).
Two ideas, one marketing strategy
On a more serious note, I’ve spent my career bringing two ideas together and thinking about what they might mean if we put them together.
I do this for a couple of reasons:
- It immediately means you can halve your marketing efforts as it will work well for two teams; and
- This idea of sweet spot marketing is much harder for other lawyers and law firms to emulate as it not only involves them doing the same thinking (which is relatively easy ) but also having the same strengths as you do (unlikely) and your/TBD’s rigour in execution (very unlikely)
So for all the lawyers and cats posts or lawyers and coffee posts I do, there’s a good technical reason beneath it: it’s borne of good marketing.
If you’d like a team of great law firm marketers who do a lot of innovative thinking, a great deal of rigorous execution, and also love a good cup of coffee, have a look at our law firm marketing services and see what we can do for you.